It’s happened again. Another mass shooting, this time in a grocery store in New York. As the news unfolds and we learn more about what happened, one thing is becoming increasingly clear: people were not prepared. This tragic event has shown why having an active shooter drill checklist is important.
We’ve taken the time to put together an article explaining what one should know about active shooting and eight tips to stay safe if you find yourself in the middle of an active shooter incident.
What Is An Active Shooter Drill Checklist
An active shooter drill checklist is a list of steps that you can take to help protect yourself during an active shooter situation.
Why You Need An Active Shooter Checklist
Active shooter situations are unpredictable and often over before people realize what’s happening. This means people often don’t have time to think about what they should do in an active shooter event. Having an active shooter drill checklist can help you keep calm and think clearly so that you can take action to protect yourself.
What Should Be On Your Active Shooter Drill Checklist – 8 Steps
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as the best way to stay safe during an active shooter situation depends on the specific circumstances. However, some general tips can help. Here are eight things that should be on your active shooter drill checklist:
1. Have An Escape Route Planned: If an active shooter is in your vicinity, your first priority should be to get away from the danger. Active shooter planning for how you will escape can help you stay calm and think clearly to take action.
2. Know Where The Exits Are: In an active shooter situation, time is of the essence. Knowing where the exits are can help you get out quickly. Maybe the front entrance isn’t the best way out, so take the time to familiarize yourself with all of the exits in your building.
3. Have a Hiding Place In Mind: If you can’t escape, your next best option is to find a place to hide. Again, having a plan can help you stay calm and think clearly to take action.
4. Know How To Barricade a Door: If you are hiding, you will want to make it as difficult as possible for the shooter to get to you. Learning how to barricade a door can help you do this.
5. Be Pepared To Fight: You may need to fight back as a last resort. This is not something that should be taken lightly, but if it’s the only way to save your life, you need to be prepared.
6. Know When To Call 911: Every second counts in an active shooter situation. Knowing when to call law enforcement can help you get the help you need as quickly as possible.
7. Be Aware Of Your Surroundings: This may seem like common sense, but it’s important to be aware of your surroundings at all times. In an active shooter situation, knowing what’s going on around you can be the difference between life and death.
8. Trust Your Instincts: If something doesn’t feel right, it probably isn’t. Trusting your instincts can help you stay safe in an active shooter situation.
While no one wants to think about being caught in an active shooter situation, the sad reality is that it could happen to any victim, anywhere. Being prepared can help you stay calm and think clearly so that you can take action to protect yourself.
An active shooter drill checklist can help you stay safe during an active shooter situation. The best way to stay safe depends on the specific circumstances, but some general tips can help. Be sure to plan an escape route, know where the exits are, have a hiding place in mind, and know how to barricade a door. You should also be prepared to fight back if necessary and know when to call 911.
If you are looking for additional support, ROI Safety Services offers active shooter training courses for businesses.
Workplace Violence Statistics – California And Texas
Sometimes we don’t understand the scope of the problem until it’s too late. Workplace violence statistics show that this is a real problem that needs to be taken seriously. Below are some alarming workplace violence statistics from the states of California and Texas.
- 19% of most workplace violence injuries occurred in California and Texas.
- In California, employee lawsuits against employers are on the rise. Employer carelessness is one of the most important elements in these claims.
- Many workers are unaware of, or have not been informed about, any Active Shooter Emergency Preparedness Training courses.
- Homicides are responsible for 10% of all work-related deaths.
- Approximately two million people each year experience some form of workplace violence, according to OSHA.
These statistics show that workplace violence is a real problem that needs to be taken seriously. If you are an employer, it’s important to ensure your employees are aware of the dangers and have a plan for public safety in an emergency. If you are an employee, it’s important to be mindful of the dangers and know what to do in an emergency.
ROI Safety Services – Helping Workplaces Stay Safe
At ROI Safety Services, we offer various services to help workplaces stay safe. At our company, we’ll help prepare the following so that you can be as prepared as possible:
- Active Shooter Emergency Preparedness Plan
- How to Respond When There’s an Active Shooter in Your Workplace
- What to do When Law Enforcement Arrives
- Recognizing Signs of Potential Workplace Violence
Here at ROI Safety Services, we believe that knowledge is power. We will provide the tools and resources you need to stay safe in an emergency. Please contact us today if you’re interested in learning more about our services. We’ll be happy to answer any of your questions and help you choose the right safety solutions for your workplace.
You have a spelling issue with your tips.
Pepared To Fight: Nothing big but I thought you might want to fix it. Thanks